[MacDV] JVC $3K HD DV miniDV Camcorder

Benjamin Ing vbing at mac.com
Tue Jan 21 16:22:04 PST 2003

Considering the difference in data rates between 480i (being the lowest
resolution) and the HD formats, as well as the added information for a
16:9 image vs. a 4:3 image, it sounds like the data will be highly
compressed on the DV tape (I am assuming that the standard 480i maxes
out the compression rate for DV).

Basically, they have developed a 16:9 CCD and are marketing that aspect
ratio ... but in doing so, they are going to have to do a sizeable
amount of data compression to fit on existing media. (That also doesn't
take into account that the data is probably the same for all 16:9 DV
formats and just output at 480p, 720p and 1020i as needed.

Personally, looks to me to be a bridge technology until consumer
electronics companies manage to write to media at a substantially
faster rate, designed to capitalize on unwitting consumers who are
offended with seeing black bars on either side of their new expensive
DV monitors.

Considering the pixelation that passes for good digital satellite or
digital cable transmission that the American public finds acceptable
(not to mention out of sync audio), JVC will likely find a good market
for this product.