[MacDV] Re: Back UP storage options???

Daniel Beck danielbeck at mac.com
Wed Jan 22 12:05:07 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 11:06 PM, Gordon B. Alley wrote:

> How does FCP deal with time code breaks in a source tape? I have some
> video where the time code gets reset because of a gap in the
> recording. Would I have to import the remainder of the video with a
> different tape name?

As was mentioned as an option earlier, I would go with dubbing the tape
via firewire to another camera and using that tape. That tape will not
have the gap in the timecode. And as was also mentioned, Try to not let
the gaps happen. If you really need to review what you've just shot, or
if you really need to take the tape out and put it back again, be sure
to give yourself plenty of extra footage at the end of shots, so that
it'll be easy to find a place to shoot over and preserve your code.

> I'm actually interested in Final Cut Express, but of course it's not
> out yet. Hopefully it will behave like FCP in this case.

Pretty sure it will. It seems to be only the high end features left
out. Kind of like getting Photoshop Elements instead of the full
package. Most non-pros won't miss a thing.

Daniel

Daniel Beck
danielbeck at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/danielbeck/