Back UP storage options???

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Wed Jan 22 21:03:17 PST 2003

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 07:32:43 -0800, Shirley Kehr
<ShirleyKat at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>"Gordon B. Alley" wrote:
>>
>>  I'm actually interested in Final Cut Express, but of course it's not
>>  out yet. Hopefully it will behave like FCP in this case.
>>

>I didn't see any comments to this statement yet. Final Cut Express was
>available from the moment it was announced at MacWorld. I ordered from
>Apple about 2 hours after the Keynote and had it 2 days later.

Yeah, I knew that, really!  But I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of
my iLife discs (released this Saturday), so just got my wires crossed.

>My understanding is that you don't do batch capture in FCE like you do
>in FCP. FCE does not use the timecode, though I understand it "sees" it.
>
>from a previous post listing what FCE does NOT do/have...
>
>* Timecode on captured clips will display as 00:00;00 (though the real
>TC will
>be embedded into the clip, you just will not be able to access it)
>
>* no logging, you can Capture Now, Capture Clip and something called Capture
>Project

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:23:09 -0800, Thubten Kunga
<Kunga at FutureMedia.org> wrote:
>numbers an logging, you can forget about FCE. If you have a reel with
>multiple zeros due to unrecorded gaps, someone else fill in the answer
>please. I'm inexperienced with that problem. I think FCP doesn't know
>where to go beyond the first gapless part. Somebody else knows right?
>
>In future, try to make a point of not rewinding tape you are shooting
>or always be careful about the cue if you do. Always tape a few seconds
>beyond the shot you want to allow yourself some resume space if you
>plane on rewinding and reviewing a shot before taking the next one.

I do that now. But I shot 6 hours of tourist video in Europe last
May-June, and after cataloging it with CatDV, I discovered that there
were several instances where a momentary gap caused the time code to
reset. I think the primary cause was turning off the camcorder, and
then later turning it on without checking the queue position on the
tape. I plan on editing this video to create a DVD (I'll be leaving
out a lot, of course), and I've been thinking about getting FCE to
edit it with instead of using iMovie.

>Alternately, you can go for a digital dub (assuming you have two
>cameras or a deck) of that reel's contents so that the dub will have a
>new set of time code on it that FCP can consistently relate to.

Probably more trouble than it's worth (especially since I have only
one camcorder handy). I think I would just treat the gap as the
beginning of a new source tape, as far as FCE is concerned.

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:50:39 -0800, sb <videovideo at mac.com> wrote:
>FCEx has the ability to recapture the project.
>
>It's just not called Batch Capture, it's called Project Capture.

So I take it this means that I can retain the original tapes, and
just archive the project file? Then at a later date I could recreate
the FCE project by using the Project Capture function with the
archived project file and the original tapes. That would be cool if
it works.

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>