[MacDV] Re: The "Ken Burns" effect

Danny Grizzle danny at mogulhost.com
Thu Jan 23 11:55:08 PST 2003

On 1/23/03 1:31 PM, "sb" <videovideo at mac.com> wrote:

> no, Final Cut Pro doesn't have the "Ken Burns Effect", which is simply a
> template of a simple animation.
>
> Instead, you would have to spend about 3 minutes creating the animation
> yourself. But, once you created the first one, you can save it and then
> apply it again and again, and have the "KathyMac Effect"

I expect the iPhoto/iMovie link to be slightly more sophisticated than this,
to automatically compensate for non-square pixels in DV, and hopefully to
transparently cope with resolution downsampling. No big deal for somebody
who already owns Photoshop and fully understands digital imaging... but
really, that is a tall order for the average new Mac owner/iMovie user.

BTW - on this subject, someone (I think DVGuy Phillip) once recommended that
for maximum quality, the still image should not only be processed in Adobe
After Effects, but also using ReelSmart Twixtor.

  <http://www.revisionfx.com/>

Twixtor looks awesome, and is normally used for creating slow-mo video,
"in-betweening" at a sub-pixel level for incredibly good results.

Like other plug-ins, my concern at this point is OS X compatibility. I'm
expecting NAB to be awash in (hopefully) shipping OS X compatible plug-ins
for Final Cut/After Effects/VST (audio).

Danny Grizzle