DVD Discs.

Ian Tucker carlian at picknowl.com.au
Sat Jan 25 14:16:22 PST 2003

Hi Simon,

When you have double clicked the "burn" button in iDVD you will be
asked to insert a DVD-R disc.   Do this and then wait for the message
"Preparing  ...."  to appear.   As soon as this message appears,  eject
the DVD-R disc and load a DVD-RW disc .  The programme will then
proceed to burn the new disc as normal.   I have a Pioneer DVD player
attached to the TV and have no problems with it playing  DVD-RW discs.
   The cheapest DVD-R's I have been able to locate in Australia are just
under $A10 each so it is nice to have erasable media to practice upon
or reuse after the content  no longer serves a purpose.

I mention here that I seem to be getting better results by letting the
iDVD programme  carry out all encoding before I go to the "Burn" stage.
   After you drag a movie into the iDVD window,  encoding takes place in
the background and this progress can be observed by clicking onto the
"themes" button and in turn, the "status" tab.   You will be able to
observe the progress of the encoding and it will indicate when this is
completed.   The process takes quite some time,  particularly if you
have a movie that is heading towards the 1 hour mark.

You can carry out other processes  whilst encoding is taking place, but
I recommend you leave the computer alone once you have pressed the
"Burn" button (apart from swapping discs as outlined above).

Best wishes,
Ian Tucker