[MacDV] The New Towers - (formerly "refurbished G4")

Chris Muir cbm at well.com
Sat Jan 25 14:03:06 PST 2003

At 10:29 AM -0700 1/25/03, KathyMac! wrote:
>So, I guess the question is: Why can't we take home one of these new towers
>that are only bootable in X and wipe the drive clean, reformat it, and
>partition it with both 9 and X? I was told it couldn't be done but I'd like
>to know why.

Ever since Apples went to the "New World" or "ROM in RAM" approach, OS 9 generally needs customization for each new motherboard/chipset that gets produced. For some products this isn't needed because the machine is based on the same generation of chips as were in a previous machine.

Apple is no longer doing the work to make OS 9 boot on new chipsets and motherboards. It's not like Apple is doing anything to sabotage OS 9 working, they are just not doing any work in that area.

-C

--
 http://www.xfade.com/ | In theory, there is no difference between
    cbm at well.com       | theory and practice. In practice, there is.