Mini DV Tapes

Eric Phillips PHILLIE at wyeth.com
Tue Jan 28 09:34:22 PST 2003

I am new to this video thing so I have not tried different tapes. With VHS tapes I have purchased all grades of tapes to record thing from the TV not a camcorder. I have not noticed any significant differences between them. Now that I am getting into making my own movies I am wondering what I am getting when purchasing a high grade tape versus a lower grade tape even if they are from the same manufacturer? Am I getting better video quality, better life expectancy or durability? For archiving can I use a cheaper tape since it will not be used over and over but shoot with a higher quality since I could use that tape several times? What are peoples thoughts? What about brands. From discussions on this list it looks like I should stay away from Memorex CD-Rs. What about tapes, any brands better than the other?

Thanks,
Eric