The 20inch LCD Conspiracy

KathyMac! Mac4Music at MusiCareOnline.org
Wed Jan 29 16:37:12 PST 2003

Macintosh Digital Video List1/29/03 5:04 PMMacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com

> Found it. It's on page two of the comments near the end of that set.
> Looks like Apple is trying to bamboozle us all. For shame!
>
> Here's the quote:
>
> "I just bought the 20" Cinema Display from my local Apple Store. I just
> read your message and booted up in OS 9.2.2 and the display work
> perfectly at it's native 1680 x 1050 resolution. I don't know why it
> says OS 10.2 only.  Maybe it's because they only want to support OS X.
> Anyways the 20" Display work great for me in OS 9.2.2."

See? I have no idea what to believe now. Common sense along with the fact
that a few people have actually used this display in OS9 should put all
worries to rest. But it doesn't.

Apple, MacMall and others have been briefed to believe and communicate to
others that you must have Jaguar to use the display.

But I've read further customer comments that now say the display works in
every way EXCEPT you cannot adjust the brightness in OS9. Now THAT sounds
about right. Much more logical.

So now I'm really irritated at the obvious INTENT to mislead the public. By
pulling the 20 inch out of the market for OS9 people they are hoping to make
them think it's time to switch to X.  Most people would pass on the 17 LCD
which isn't widescreen but can't afford the 23 LCD. Apple knew the 20 would
be the most popular.

Would it have been THAT hard to state:
"Will operate in 9.2 or 10.1.3 or later. Requires Jaguar 10.2 to utilize the
brightness feature."

If that's the only feature missing when in OS9 I would've bought one. But
since we are only on Day Two of the new product line I would hate to cancel
my 22 inch, order the 20, and find out down the road that there's other
reasons why they listed it as Jaguar only.

If it was nothing more than a sneaky way to get people to move into X then
I'm really disappointed. Don't tell me that they didn't know how to word or
explain the description of the monitor more thoroughly.

Kathy