[MacDV] Re: The Sony Canon debate

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 29 18:44:52 PST 2003

On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 08:30 PM, James Asherman wrote:

> Steven Rogers wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 08:04 PM, Thubten Kunga wrote:
>>
>>> SteadyShot is better optical and Super SteadyShot is best optical.
>>
>> I tried to verify that somewhere on the web, but couldn't find it.
>> Super SteadyShot is an optical technique. I couldn't find any
>> documentation of what plain SteadyShot is.
>
> http://www.digitalvideoforless.com/steadyshot.htm

Of course, this is basically a store's web page about Sony, so its not
exactly the final authority, but their description is not what I'd call
an optical technique (i.e. and optical element does the work). The
technique described here is essentially the classic oversized sensor
technique, though they're using more sophisticated ways to manage the
CCD and detect motion.

For what I shoot, I'm not sure detecting camera motion would be a good
algorithm. Most of the things I want to "steady shoot" are subjects in
motion like airplanes at an airshow, rockets, etc. Its not camera
motion I want to cancel out, its jiggle of the subject in the lens.
Whatever the GL1 does, it works really well.

SR