Why only Sony

Randy Clark hawkgx at planetkc.com
Wed Jan 29 18:59:30 PST 2003

on 1/29/03 3:45 PM, Thubten Kunga <Kunga at FutureMedia.org> dropped through
the skylight and said:

> I have a Canon XL-1 and I was disappointed in its performance (lousy in
> low light). I do like the improved feature set of the Canon XL-1S
> though. I have heard (not experienced because I do all my transfers
> with a deck) of incompatibilities with Canon cameras in transferring
> video.
>
> I have been using Sony cameras ever since the early 90's with no
> problems to speak of. I think that if you are choosing between those
> brands at the lower price points that Sony is better. It's really
> personal bias. I like Sony. All my TVs are Sony because the are the
> only ones that have the brains to allow audio swap between small and
> large PIP windows. And I believe in the Trinitron CRT as a superior way
> to display TV. So the Sony brand loyalty bias goes way beyond which is
> a better camera.
>
> I'm sure there are some on this list that swear by Canon. Perhaps they
> should come forward to balance out this "debate".

Okay, here's a viewpoint from a "lower-end" Canon user. I got a ZR25 for
Christmas 2 years ago and have been pretty satisfied with it. For basic
"home movie" type shooting (i.e. holidays, kids' sports events, vacations,
special occasions, etc.) it's done a pretty good job. I've never had any
capture issues with it (500mhz iMac G3 DV SE & iMovie 2.0 --> 2.1.1). I love
the size of it. Recently spent 2 weeks in Orlando and often had it in one
hand, and my Olympus C720 still camera in the other... yes, a double-fisted
shooter!

The image stabilizer feature seems to work fairly well. At least I've had no
complaints yet.  For the price range, Canon's single-CCD camcorders seem
like a good value for many consumer-level shooters.

On the other hand, I have no cause to disparage Sony products. I've had a
Sony TV for a couple years now, and have been extremely pleased with it. I
would definitely consider Sony electronics when looking to purchase again.

--
Randy Clark
hawkgx at planetkc.com
Kansas City