The 20inch LCD Conspiracy

KathyMac! Mac4Music at MusiCareOnline.org
Fri Jan 31 09:22:57 PST 2003

Macintosh Digital Video List1/31/03 9:54 AMMacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com

> And they could just keep a suite of every model of MacOS box, and test
> the monitor against all the software and hardware combinations in order
> to make an authoritative claim about which features half-way work under
> which OS and hardware, and build that cost into the product.

Ok, I'll leave it at this because I think you're missing my point.
They already seem to know which G4 video cards are incompatible with the 20
inch. Disclosing information in the spec sheet that they have already
confirmed in their testing is not too much to ask for. How many times in the
past have we seen claims  "This will not work in the B&W G3 model or the
iBook SE edition" etc, etc...

They're big boys over there at Apple. They know how to clarify information
when they want it to be clear.

I'll be my own devil's advocate though (even though there seems to be enough
people willing to do it for me!). Perhaps they made a blanket statement that
the monitor is Jaguar only because they didn't want a bunch of idiots to run
out and buy one without doing their research and reading the small print
about compatibility. They certainly don't need a flood of calls to Tech
Support because no one bothered to check if their particular G4 Tower had
one of the "OK" video cards to run the monitor. I can understand that
reasoning, I suppose.

Kathy