FCP 4-Green Screen-Ping Richard Brown-MacDV Digest #2271

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Tue Jul 1 00:21:16 PDT 2003

Aliasing, as far as color correction goes, is very controllable in the
tweaked 3 Color Corrector, and bodes well if the same controls are
applied elsewhere, but as to green screen, our primary work on this is
only about to begin in very large scale shortly. When doing massive
corrections, however, even on a notch basis, you can affect a few
pixels unintentionally, and thus matting or other spill control may
become necessary, but the new ability to blur and feather contrasting
color edges is spectacular.

Recently, our "effects" work has been limited to 3-D (as in, get out
your shutter glasses) and various to extreme levels of color correction
work. In the past, I've worked with Ultimatte on some shows (regarding
green/bluescreen work) in terms of their live, online, hardware
solution, but now, Ultimatte has a new DV-oriented software solution,
which addresses the 4:1:1 problem of DV footage and, given Ultimatte's
long mastery of the composite, it might be well worth a look for your
compositing issue.

As it happens, I have just begun work on a sci-fi comedy feature film
shot using the Canon XL1 and XL1s, and worse yet, shot in that cam's
pseudo "frame mode," including green screen shots. Given the
limitations of the XL1, NEVER choose "frame" mode. Create that look in
POST. This will afford you MORE resolution.

In this feature there are quite a few elaborate CGI shots to produce,
and a lot of simpler "blaster" type shots, motion tracked element
replacements, and other things as yet to be determined. We will be
stretching Final Cut as far as possible, backing things up with After
Effects and other softwares, farming some of the work out while
producing much of it in-house. Eventually, we will be doing a daunting
amount of effects work, and we intend to document the whole process for
a technical DVD aimed at indie filmmakers.

Our first daunting task on this film is to correct many hours of
"sync-resistant" audio due to the variable bit rate used by that
camera. Final Cut's resync feature is useful on the timeline, but
disallows layback, where the sync drifts out alarmingly. Resampling
looks to be the best choice. We are looking to do audio post on Digital
Performer 4, Nuendo, and some other tools. We're doing a 5.1 mix, and a
Music and Effects (M&E) track for foreign language dubbing, mastering
on M&K 2510's (highly recommended at
http://www.mkprofessional.com/mps2510.html) and subs.

Richard Brown