[MacDV] Hard drive partioning

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Wed Jul 2 11:17:53 PDT 2003

> I must not have saved the posts from way back, 'cause I can't find 'em. So,
> my apologies for what's likely a common question:
>
> I'd like to make 3 partitions, each to hold an entire DV tape, then leave
> the 4th partiton for data and rendering. How many GB is one DV tape? 20GB?

They're a little under 14 GB...  But your plan seems like a setup like that
would be too restrictive...  What if you want to move some files around --
then you have to copy from partition to partition and delete the original...
Too much hassle if you asked me...  (I know you didn't ask me, but anyway)

If you've got your heart set on partitioning a hard drive, it's best to
partition the internal startup drive into at least two sections -- one for
your "System" files and Applications and another for your A/V documents.  If
you have 2 drives, then just use the second one for A/V but in a single
partition.  I think partitioning decreases performance too since it adds
another layer of complexity to read/write requests...

2 cents.

- Mark