(OT) System crashes...

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Jul 2 11:25:35 PDT 2003

> From: YangZone at aol.com
>
> Am getting System Crashes. 'Used to be once a week, now 3-4 times a
> day on my Powerbook 800 1G 10.2.6. ('Been happening since 10.2.3)

You should NEVER have let this go on so long! A kernel panic (what you
are describing) should NEVER be happening in normal use. That's right,
NEVER. The only restarts should be from when you install system-level
software. Don't accept kernel panics! They are verboten in the new
regime! :)

>  'Have run Disk Warrior, Disk Optimizer X and latest virus defs.

I doubt this will solve the problem, but have you repaired permissions
using Disk Utility?

>  Before doing the dreaded Clean Install would like to know what prefs
> (sys etc) etc. that I might safely trash to try to resolve the problem

I'm not sure what's so "dreaded" about a clean install. I did one for a
client recently who was having kernel panics like yours (his problem
was, I believe, an older version of AOL that did NOT like his updated
OS). We did an "archive and install" update and it took all of 20
minutes (and most of that was the prebinding!).

However, before you even do that, my suggestion to you would be to
create a new user on your system (admin level). Log in, don't add
anything just stick with the defaults as much as possible, and then do
the things you normally do with your computer. If the problem
re-occurs, then you probably have a hosed system (or bad RAM -- added
any RAM since 10.2.3?). If it doesn't, then the culprit is some
third-party item.

_Chas_
"We don't want to be like Windows. We want to do everything better. We
are intent on creating the greatest computers and the best computing
experience in the world. And we are the only ones who can say that with
a straight face." -- Greg Joswiak, Apple VP of hardware product
marketing