[MacDV] (OT) System crashes...

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Wed Jul 2 11:30:51 PDT 2003

I would suggest the Mac OS X equivalent of the old Mac OS 9 "rebuild the
desktop" generic troubleshooting recommendation:

Open Disk Utility and run the "Repair Disk Permissions" routine under the
"First Aid" tab.

If that doesn't fix it, then:

Create a new user account with admin privileges (the "Accounts" pane in
System Preferences), log in as that user and see if the problems persist.
If they go away, then you may very well have a damaged preference somewhere,
which could be impossible to track down.

So if the new account you created works fine, you could move your old files
over to your new account (kinda tricky) or do a clean install of the system.
Thankfully with Mac OS X 10.2 this does *not* mean you have to wipe your
hard drive and start fresh, but you can create a fresh "System" folder and
migrate your existing user accounts pretty easily by just clicking a few
check boxes in the 10.2 installer.

Hope that helps.

- Mark