[MacDV] Re: Hard drive partioning

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Wed Jul 2 12:15:14 PDT 2003

Mark M. Florida wrote:

>>I must not have saved the posts from way back, 'cause I can't find 'em. So,
>>my apologies for what's likely a common question:
>>
>>I'd like to make 3 partitions, each to hold an entire DV tape, then leave
>>the 4th partiton for data and rendering. How many GB is one DV tape? 20GB?
>>

>They're a little under 14 GB...  But your plan seems like a setup like that
>would be too restrictive...  What if you want to move some files around --
>then you have to copy from partition to partition and delete the original...
>Too much hassle if you asked me...  (I know you didn't ask me, but anyway)
>
>If you've got your heart set on partitioning a hard drive, it's best to
>partition the internal startup drive into at least two sections -- one for
>your "System" files and Applications and another for your A/V documents.  If
>you have 2 drives, then just use the second one for A/V but in a single
>partition.  I think partitioning decreases performance too since it adds
>another layer of complexity to read/write requests...
>
>2 cents.
>
>- Mark

\
Having experimented with partitioning my 80 gig IBM ultra star, I can
say that it definitely hindered performance.
Whether it made the reads too hard to find or (as I suspect) just made
innefficient use of the available heads it sucked.
 I un-partitioned it and it works fine. I just use folders instead..
Jim