[MacDV] Accelerating a G4

Patty Winter patty1 at sonic.net
Sun Jul 6 12:03:24 PDT 2003

   >From: Gary Dalzell <gdalzelltwo at cox.net>
   >
   >In thinking what to do next, I received some information about G4 1.2 GHZ
   >Processor Upgrade for $500. A few years ago, I was able to extend the life
   >of a Powerbase clone for a couple of years by adding a G3 upgrade and was
   >generally satisfied. I am wondering if I can accomplish the same "extended"
   >life to the G4.

Gary, I have no personal experience with processor upgrades, so I will
certainly defer to anyone on this list who does, but I was recently reading
the Mac OS X system requirements document on the Apple Support web site
(http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106163), and it says:

	Computers with microprocessor upgrade cards do not work with Mac
	OS X. Though Mac OS X may install and appear to function normally
	on some computers with third-party microprocessor upgrade cards,
	Apple does not provide technical support or assistance for Mac
	OS X when used in this way. Contact the manufacturer of your
	microprocessor upgrade card for support information.

That document was last updated in October, 2002, so I don't know whether
the situation has changed since then. But it's good that you're doing
some research before buying an upgrade card to make sure that you don't
end up with any "gotchas."

Patty