[MacDV] Re: [Off Maybe] Video Conference setup?

Creed Erickson creed at mac.com
Mon Jul 7 10:37:30 PDT 2003

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 09:29 AM, Erica Sadun wrote:

> At 12:22 PM -0400 7/7/03, Dennis Little wrote:
>> If there's a better place for this, feel free to tell me where.
>>
>> I've been asked to do some research on video conferencing packages.
>> At
>> present, we don't have anything -- no camera, no software, no nothing
>> -- but
>> will be using this pretty frequently.  Video conference centers seem
>> to want
>> about $150 and up per hour so I'm hoping getting a setup of our own
>> will be
>> decently cost competitive.  Anybody have suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dennis
>>

> iChat AV. QuickTime (or Darwin) Streaming Server. QuickTime
> Broadcaster.
>
> All free.
>
> All you need is a DV camera at each end, a reasonably modern
> Mac and (preferably) broadband.

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 09:29 AM, Erica Sadun wrote:

> At 12:22 PM -0400 7/7/03, Dennis Little wrote:
>> If there's a better place for this, feel free to tell me where.
>>
>> I've been asked to do some research on video conferencing packages.
>> At
>> present, we don't have anything -- no camera, no software, no nothing
>> -- but
>> will be using this pretty frequently.  Video conference centers seem
>> to want
>> about $150 and up per hour so I'm hoping getting a setup of our own
>> will be
>> decently cost competitive.  Anybody have suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dennis
>>

> iChat AV. QuickTime (or Darwin) Streaming Server. QuickTime
> Broadcaster.
>
> All free.
>
> All you need is a DV camera at each end, a reasonably modern
> Mac and (preferably) broadband.

Note that iChat AV is only point to point. i.e., If more than 2
locations are involved, iChat won't meet your needs.

You must have broadband for video.

The camera does not have to be a DV camera. Any firewire capable camera
will do. Apple has the iSight (http://www.apple.com/isight/)

 From Apple's site:

Requirements for iChat AV Public Beta

For Audio:

Mac OS X v10.2.5 or later
Any G3 processor
iSight, or any microphone
56K modem connection

For Video:

Mac OS X v10.2.5 or later
G5, G4 or G3 procesor at 600MHz or faster
Video: iSight or any FireWire-based video camera*
Audio: iSight or any microphone (internal or external)
Cable, DSL, or or other broadband Internet connection

*DV camcorders require G5 or G4 processor.

HTH
- Creed