OT: AAC > MP3

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Jul 14 23:59:09 PDT 2003

> From: James Asherman <jimash at optonline.net>
> I do not think so. I don't favor the "big stick" but I don't think
> these
> corporate sites are going to hit the mark unless they A: pay attention
> to the older stuff and : FEATUre
> the young acts.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the depth of the selection
already available on the iTunes Music Store, and it is really in its
infancy in terms of the number of songs it will eventually hold.

Steve Jobs has already courted the indie labels, and reports are that
they could *double* the over 200,000 songs already available in as
little as six months.

And of the material that's already on there right now, you might find
yourself surprised: jazz, folk, blues, celtic and other "not top 40"
genres of music are surprisingly well-represented. I bought a few Yma
Sumac tracks, a Bob Hope/Bing Crosby song, some Etta James, some Astrud
Gilberto, and "Twilight Time" by the Platters (speaking of which,
there's a *50* song anthology by the Platters available on iTMS for
$19.98 -- a steal!).

Sure, there's a lot that's NOT there yet ... but if you're looking for
some really great stuff, there's truckloads of it ... much of which
you'd be hard-pressed to locate locally ... waiting for you at the iTMS.

> You are just never gonna get a corporate store with a wide and deep
> enough selection.

If Apple counts as "corporate," you're probably going to have to eat
those words before too long. :)

_Chas_

"To use the Mac is to be confronted, over and over, with the idea that
the most mundane task can be done artfully and compassionately,
beautifully and invitingly. " -- Glenn McDonald