[MacDV] Much Ado About Nothing

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Thu Jul 17 11:54:23 PDT 2003

The problem is, the ad described below is too busy and therefore not
memorable to an audience with the attention span of a gnat. This is the
attention span of a TV audience watching a commercial. Commercials must
slap you in the face and hook you instantly else suffer the fate of
being NOT WATCHED as the audience gets a beer.

Just LOOK at the ad:

A pastoral day, OUTSIDE, birds chirping. Not where you'd expect...
BANG!  A young man in an an office chair propelled backward like a
bullet by some mysteriously powerful force (NO EXPLOSION, but something
powerful nonetheless) and is stopped by a tree, dazed and amazed (NOT
in pain.)  Track back through an over the top scene of hole in the wall
after hole in the wall (nice touch with the woman and the little dog)
through the entire house to the BACK room to reveal power creating the
effect... and then Jeff Goldblum says:

"Introducing the Power Mac G5, the world's fastest, most powerful
personal computer."

It's an absurd non sequitur with a punch line, and enough said! Funny
but not too funny (too funny and you FORGET due to a well documented
chemical reaction in the brain), and thus just about perfect for what
the ad needed to do...

This ad sells the sizzle with simplicity. Great ads sell the "sizzle"
(as in "Who cares? It's SHINY!) and not forgettable details. If you're
REALLY LUCKY, your ad incites your target audience to talk about it to
others who haven't even seen the ad. This betters your proverbial cost
per thousand.

And to look around here for the last few days, this ad REALLY worked.
Nice job, dontcha think?

Richard Brown

P.S. Apple's Ad had FOUR shots, with great internal suspense (and
building humor) as the camera slowly approaches the G5 through all the
debris... the following has nine shots without a hook, and suffers the
worst thing you can do in movie storytelling - SAYING it rather than
SHOWING it.  Not cinematic. What's worse, it tells the audience what to
think and how to feel about what it sees. Sorry to critique harshly.