Panasonic ag-dvx100

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Tue Jul 22 12:13:32 PDT 2003

The PD150 can work perfectly as a deck, and is fully controllable by
Final Cut Pro. I would not recommend using any camera as a deck,
however, if you can afford to invest in a proper studio deck. DVCAM
will play back on regular MiniDV equipment (I've only tested Sony Mini
DV cams on this.)

Sony and JVC make a variety of pro level, half-width decks which offer
great utility, and the robustness needed for an editing scenario. The
thing to know is your expected source footage when purchasing a deck,
and this refers, basically, to the Canon XL1... ONLY the JVC decks are
going to allow you to keep your sanity with XL1 footage. Sony is Sony
and clings to rote video standards. All things Sony will play on all
things Sony. When cameras throw an oddity into the mix (like XL1's) you
need a company that is trying to be all things to all people. That is
JVC, where the decks are forgiving in the extreme as to source media.

There is no fundamental difference in DVCAM, as it is the same video
signal, essentially, as MiniDV, with the exception that the faster tape
speed enables the DVCAM format, which maintains sync and also minimizes
all other potential problems associated with transporting the tape more
slowly. Where MiniDV might glitch, DVCAM likely will not. That is the
difference between a professional format and its expectations and with
all things amateur. The huge gray area is that all things amateur are
getting so professional...

Thus, you must keep in mind, in MiniDV OR DVCAM shooting, that you are
essentially trying to do broadcast level video - but even so, you may
often be using tapes NOT up to broadcast standards. DVCAM additionally
separates itself in having professional grade tapes in professional
grade cases which make a difference in professional level conditions.
Although you are using a digital format, these little tapes are
FRAGILE. Entrusting important footage to a amateur tape in a
non-protective case can be asking for trouble, even if your experience
to date has proven otherwise.

The pro tapes for DVCAM will also work on MiniDV cameras, as far as the
mini tape sizes go. A 40 minute DVCAM tape is a 60 minute tape for
MiniDV.  When the tapes get larger, like the 184 minute sizes in DVCAM,
the cassette size is much larger.  A big difference in the pro tapes is
the quality of the cases. Larger. Protective, and with room to write
meaningful information to keep a production organized. All this
streamlines workflow.

Richard Brown