[MacDV] Re: The quality of 8MM film

Jim Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Wed Jul 23 11:03:56 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 01:55  PM, Paul Williams wrote:

> The film itself is in very good condition. What is it comparable to?
> Hmmm, don't know ... its standard 8mm film shot 30 to 45 years ago.
>
> I want to get this film digitized and imported into a version of Final
> Cut, edited, then put into DVD format.
>
> A huge project, i know, but as a first step, i'm trying to figure the
> best way to get the best possible digital image to work with.
>
> Paul

I project the film onto a suspended piece of white paper.
Position the camera as close to the projector as possible an still
control both.
White balance can be tricky. Auto is good. Indoor is good. Sometimes the
outdoor shots actually look better if you switch to outdoor.
  Film can be fragile and I have had some bad luck. VideoTape every frame
you play.
It may break and never play again or get stuck in the machine.
Make sure the projector is clean and lubed if possible. (Really you
should lybe the film but let's not obsess). I used Radio Shack Tape head
lubricant which worked quite well.
(on the projector film guides and gate and such)
Tape everything. Twice if necessary. Then put the film and projector
aside and just deal with your camera tapes from there.
Jim