[MacDV] Re: The quality of 8MM film

Leigh Seaver keeleefeefee at mac.com
Wed Jul 23 19:01:12 PDT 2003

Hi!

I have also been interested in transferring some old 8mm films to
digital media, though I think it may really be an excuse to satisfy my
urge to tinker.

Anyway, I am in the process of digitizing my 8mm film through my Nikon
Coolscan 4000.  I've got it set up to accept strips of 8mm film (which
have been cut from the roll) and scan the individual frames
sequentially.  This takes an enormous of amount of time (tedious work
with no "tinkering" fun), so I am in the process of building a
motorized transport to feed the 8mm film automatically through the
scanning unit.  I'm trying to program a controller (an old Mac IIci),
which controls the motorized transport (an adapted motor and film
transport mechanism from an old 8 mm projector)  to feed the film
through the unit one reel at a time ... stopping every so many frames
so that the Coolscan can scan the loaded frames, then resume feeding
the film through until the next set of frames to be scanned.  I am
having some problems with the alignment using this method.

Once I have this test reel digitized, I can clean, manipulate, correct
each individual frame or section of frames.  I haven't begun this
process yet.

My questions really relate to the processing of these frames (which are
individual image files) after they have all been acquired.  Do I bring
them directly into a video editor and combine them to form clips which
will play at an appropriate frame rate?  Do I need to convert them
first?  I have a feeling that QT Pro will accomplish what I need and
then allow me to export the finished project into DV format, but I have
really looked into it.  Any ideas?  What is the frame rate for 8mm and
super 8mm?

Looking forward to any comments ...