Quality of 8mm film

David Thrasher idave at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 23 21:59:58 PDT 2003

On the frame rates, here is some information that might help:

24 frames per second is the rate for sound films, whether super 8, 16mm, or 35mm.

16 frames per second was the standard for silent film once motor drives became available (possibly in the 1920's). 35mm was this way until sound came along. 16mm and 8mm remained this way for the amateur market because sound cameras was scarce.

18 frames per second for silent movies came about in the 1960's with Super 8 and possibly was used for standard (or regular) 8 film of the time. I think I have seen people have sound super 8 films run at 18 frames per second but that wasn't the standard.

-Dave