TiBook internal hard drive

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Jul 23 21:53:24 PDT 2003

> From: Carl Flatow <cflatow at optonline.net>
> Ideally, I'd like to take the 10GB that I'm removing, put it in an
> enclosure and use it as a spare external.
> Is it practical to buy a bigger drive that's already in such an
> enclosure and just swap them?
>
> Also, the IBM 10GB I have is REALLY NOISY!
>
> Any suggestions, oh wise ones?

Here's mine (and it's just my opinion, of course):

1. Replace the noisy IBM 10G with a less noisy, larger drive, say a
40GB. Speed not relevant, since you are STILL not going to use that
particular drive for video (read on).

2. Toss the 10GB (after copying the data over, of course). If it's that
noisy, it's probably starting to go.

3. Put the other drive you mentioned (the fast 7200RPM 80GB) or a
larger new IDE drive into that FW case and use THAT for video storage.
The Firewire connection will actually be MUCH faster than any IDE drive
(any speed) you could safely put inside the laptop, and this way you
don't have to worry about portability, heat issues, etc.

_Chas_

The CPU speed wars are over. We won.
http://www.apple.com/powermac/