[MacDV] The 90 minute limit?

Patty Winter patty1 at sonic.net
Thu Jul 24 09:41:32 PDT 2003

I saw the response to Kathy's note that mentioned Toast as a possible
solution, but I'm still wondering about this part:

   >From: KathyMac! <Mac4Music at MusiCareOnline.org>
   >
   >What if I build the file in iDVD....can I then burn it from say DVD
   >Studio Pro instead (which I understand does not have the 90 time
   >limit?) or do I have to actually BUILD it in DVDSP first and skip iDVD
   >altogether?

I'm curious about that, too, since making chapters in iDVD looks really
easy, while I suspect that may not be true in DVDSP. Can you do everything
up to the final encoding in iDVD, or if you're going to use DVDSP, do you
have to go straight from iMovie to DVDSP?

   >If I choose to get DVDSP to do my work (and I really don't want to) is
   >there anything special I need to know about creating my file in iMovie
   >3? How is it then exported for burning in DVDSP?

Kathy, I asked someone at an Apple Store about this a few weeks ago,
and although I haven't tried it myself, evidently the thing to do is
to go into File > Export, choose QuickTime, and then choose "Full
Quality DV" format. That's what iMovie help says about "Saving your
movie as a QuickTime movie," so it must be right. That help window
even specifically mentions DVD Studio Pro as one reason you'd want
to save in the Full Quality DV format.

Patty