Switching mini DV tape brands

Richard richard.ttt at verizon.net
Sat Jul 26 06:16:20 PDT 2003

I know you are not supposed to use different mini DV tape brands in the same
camera/deck because, if their different lubricants mix, it can cause
trouble.

If I wanted to switch from Panasonic to Sony (or vice versa), could I safely
do this by using a cleaning cassette between the switch? Most of my archive
footage is Sony Premium tape, but I've had some problems, so I want to
switch to Panasonic.

I used to switch brands (JVC, Panasonic, Sony), a few years ago, without
problems.

How much of a problem is this "lubricant mixing" in the real world?

Thanks,

--Richard