[MacDV] Switching mini DV tape brands

Andrew T. Lynch atlynch at mac.com
Sat Jul 26 07:06:59 PDT 2003

Richard,

I have never heard such a recommendation. I can't imagine that this is
not some sort of sales baloney.  Now, having said that I do tend to buy
tapes a case at a time to get the best price, so I don't switch brands
often.

-Drew

On Saturday, July 26, 2003, at 06:16  AM, Richard wrote:

> I know you are not supposed to use different mini DV tape brands in
> the same
> camera/deck because, if their different lubricants mix, it can cause
> trouble.
>
> If I wanted to switch from Panasonic to Sony (or vice versa), could I
> safely
> do this by using a cleaning cassette between the switch? Most of my
> archive
> footage is Sony Premium tape, but I've had some problems, so I want to
> switch to Panasonic.
>
> I used to switch brands (JVC, Panasonic, Sony), a few years ago,
> without
> problems.
>
> How much of a problem is this "lubricant mixing" in the real world?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Richard

- Andrew T. Lynch
- Chief Zymurgist/Manager US Technical Services
- Verisity Design Inc.
- (650)934-6875