Quicktime 6 problem

Gregg Gorrie ggorrie at telus.net
Sat Jul 26 13:40:41 PDT 2003

I've just installed Quicktime 6.03 (for the second time). Every time I
attempt to play an MPEG 4 movie, my computer locks up. Sometimes it happens
almost immediately, sometimes after 10-15 seconds, or when I try to stop
playback. It doesn't seem to exhibit this problem with movies using other
codecs (ie Sorensen, Cinepac, etc.) It happens both when streaming on-line
and when playing back an off-line movie. The telltale sign of an impending
crash is stuttering audio. Then it locks up and I have to do a forced
restart.

Originally I just installed it over top of Quicktime 5. After I noticed the
problem, I uninstalled everything and did a fresh install of Quicktime 6.03
- same situation. Have done the usual troubleshooting stuff using extensions
manager and Conflict Catcher.

Any ideas? Quicktime 5 works like a charm, but many current movies
(particularly on web sites) are using the MPEG 4 codec and I'd really like
to keep up with the times.

Has anyone had success running QT6 with OS 9.1?

S900 w/NewerTech G4/400 card
784 MB RAM
OS 9.1
ATI VR128 video card