[MacDV] canon vs. sony dv cameras?

Eric Phillips PHILLIE at wyeth.com
Mon Jul 28 10:02:09 PDT 2003

phb,
This is just a word of caution. I bought a Sony TRV27 in Feb. and did
not purchase an extended warranty. The images captured on the camera
have been very good. What has happened is the Firewire port has gone
south. I went one day to transfer some video and my computer would not
recognize the camera. After playing around with the computer and camera
I determined that the camera screws up the Firewire bus so bad that my
computer will not see my scanner when the camera is attached and turned
on. Now I need to send the camera back to Sony, spend shipping and the
minimum ~$260 repair fee and not have the camera for several weeks.
Luckily I am still within the parts warranty so I don't have to pay for
those. Would I buy a Sony again? You bet. Would I think twice about an
extended warranty? You bet.

Eric