[MacDV] Re: New to list - suggestions invited, please!

Patty Winter patty1 at sonic.net
Mon Jul 28 14:02:30 PDT 2003

   >From: Steven Rogers <srogers1 at austin.rr.com>
   >
   >> On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 02:22 PM, Erica Sadun wrote:
   >>> I'm unaware of any $30 DVD-R disc--whether authoring *or* general.
   >>> Authoring discs cost about $6 a pop these days.  General discs
   >>> (depending on brand, source) cost between $0.50 to $3.00 each.
   >>
   >> This page has a Mitsubishi DVD-R for authoring at $15.29.
   >http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go.dll/-s//fp_57830

I read the descriptions of the DataLife "authoring" and "general use"
discs on that page, and I don't understand the difference. The authoring
discs only have 3.95GB capacity, and the general use disks say that you
can "author and encode" onto them. The authoring disks can be run through
an ink-jet printer, but that seems like a feature related to distrubtion
rather than authoring. Erica, Steven, someone--what's an authoring disc?

Patty