[MacDV] Re: New to list - suggestions invited, please!

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Mon Jul 28 14:39:21 PDT 2003

> Erica, Steven, someone--what's an authoring disc?
>
> Patty

I think the only difference these days is that nobody uses authoring discs
anymore because they don't really have to -- they were designed for
"authoring" (burning) using the older $5,000 DVD recorders that were out
years ago and were the only way to burn your own DVD.  These are called
"authoring" recorders and they use "authoring" discs because they were not
really meant for burning or duplicating large quantities -- you "authored"
to a disc and sent it to a mastering/duplication house to have a glass
master created and pressed for duplication.

So, if you have a newer DVD-RW drive, the "authoring" discs are irrelevant.
In fact, I don't think they'll even work with a newer DVD-RW drive anyway.

- Mark