[MacDV] Re: New to list - suggestions invited, please!

James Reed jreed at mn.rr.com
Mon Jul 28 15:38:50 PDT 2003

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 03:40  PM, Phil A. Lefebvre wrote, as a
reply to MrWitch:

> Definitely get the Sawtooth G4. The G4 encodes to MPEG about 2-4x
> faster than a G3. Even if you got the B&W G3 and upgraded the
> processor to a G4, the Sawtooth has a better design that will give
> better performance MHz-to-MHz.
>

> You could put a DVD burner (the original DVR-103/A03 can be found as a
> closeout for around $100 now, and the DVR-104 and 105 are around $150)
> in your Sawtooth, get iLife for $50, then burn DVDs quite easily.

This is the system I have, a Sawtooth G4, 450 mHz with a DVD burner I
installed (DVR 105), a Canopus converter and iLife.   Put as much RAM
into whatever system you get that you can afford, you won't regret it.
I hooked up a cheap VCR to the Canopus, converted a bunch of old VHS
tapes to digital, did the iMovie thing with lots of time spent editing
(my winter project) and then burnt the product to DVDs.  Worked slick
and the final product is great (made DVDs of my daughter's life for her
HS graduation).  You'll also need a big hard drive, digital video takes
up lots of space (a fast, dedicated 2nd hard drive is best).

James