[MacDV] Re: AVI Conversion?

Ron Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Thu Jul 31 11:43:12 PDT 2003

My point is that DivX (or DIVx, who cares) is a rip-off of MPEG-4
before the standard was finalized.  Those who did that and now use it
are doing the same frustrating thing that Microsoft is trying to do
with its "Microsoft MPEG-4 V1/2/3 VKI Codec" -- embrace, extend,
fragment, and make the standard their proprietary product.  Why can't
we all just get along?  Why do we have to suffer through fragmentation
of every standard that is attempted?  DivX doesn't improve on MPEG-4,
it just confuses and fragments the market and causes playback
compatibility problems that spawned this discussion thread.

Ron Woodland