[MacDV] Re: PAL or NTSC better?

Ron Woodland woodland at infowest.com
Thu Jul 31 12:00:12 PDT 2003

That was one of the original goals behind the development of the HDTV
standard -- a common world-wide standard.  Unfortunately, that hasn't
happened.  Similar to the complaint I have with the MPEG-4 vs. DivX
codecs, too many special interest and political forces have hijacked
the HDTV standard.  The choice to use NTSC, PAL, or SECAM in various
countries is really more a political issue than whether one standard
was better than another.  Having said that, I agree that NTSC is the
worst of the three in use today, probably because it is the first,
oldest, and the original standard.  When color television became
technically possible, a new standard was proposed in the U.S. that
would have delivered superior television quality but was rejected
because of backward compatibility issues with B&W televisions already
on the market.  I wonder what Philo T. Farnsworth (the acknowledged
inventor of television) would think if he were alive today?

Ron Woodland