Canon XL1 Nightmare - solutions and observations--MacDV Digest #2208

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Mon Jun 2 11:51:51 PDT 2003

Re: Re:Canon XL1 Nightmare - solutions and observations--MacDV Digest #2208

Thanks for the comprehensive post, Richard.

The head-width observation explains some of the issues I've had as an XL-1
owner and as a Sony Mini-DV owner  I'll pass that info on to some other
people.

The deck info is highly helpful, too.

I've had to resync clips by sliding the audio, marking it as "in sync" and
then exporting that section of the timeline out as a QT movie... then
re-importing the movie and using it.  I can imagine how much of a hassle
you're up against.

Was thinking about an easy slate system.  Card stock printed by the user
with the slate info of your choice... laminated and then marked with either
a grease pencil, dry erase marker or maybe a fine point Sharpie.  A small
one (4 x 6 inches) could be used at arms length in front of the lens,
enabling a shooter to slate the scenes with at least scene and take numbers
without other crew.  Snapping fingers or having someone in the shot clap
hands might sub for a clapper.

Re: framing...  The XL1's stock color viewfinder doesn't show the entire
frame... so you'll sometimes find things like unexpected hands, stands,
mikes or booms in the shot... even when viewing the tape on an overscanned
monitor or TV.

On solution that worked for me when the camera was locked down, was to find
a frame from the same position and framing that DIDN'T have the offending
item... pull a freeze frame in FCP and use a garbage matte to drop the
frozen frame over the portion of the moving video with the offending
item(s).

A similar technique enabled me to replace water in a settling basin at a
wastewater plant after the client decided the crap on the water wasn't going
to do.  I reshot the "appropriate" water after matching angles with the aid
of a tape, and then lined the garbage matte's lines along parts of a metal
structure in the shot.  Worked like a charm in several situations.

Good luck and God speed with your post.

Ted.