iMovie 3.0.3, sound glitches and freeze

Quattlebaum, Bill (NIH/NIEHS) quattleb at niehs.nih.gov
Wed Jun 4 05:21:12 PDT 2003

Ah the frustration level...

I am using a PowerMac G4 Dual 1.25MHz, OS 10.2.6 and QT 6.3

I edited a new 43 minute vacation video in iMovie 3.0.2 (now upgraded to
3.0.3) and had the following two problems I hope someone has suggested fixes
for.

1	One of the earliest scenes is a sunset that I used the Apple
provided speed tool to 4x the frame rate on. When I try to export the iMovie
to video the export stops when that scene ends and iMovie freezes. I have to
force quit to exit iMovie.

	I found a solution that worked for one export: I deleted about 6
frames from the end of the 4x section and the export completed. One time
only. Now the problem is back again.

2	When I did get a complete export and played back the DV tape I
discovered that almost all of the transitions I placed between a STILL (and
silent) photo and a motion video clip were preceeded by a loud surge. I use
the Cross Dissolve almost exclusively set to 10 frames.

	I have removed the transitions and the sound surge is still there. I
have tried trimming both the still photo and the motion video and the sound
surge stays. I have recreated the transition with 3.0.3 and I have made sure
the transition volume is set to ZERO and nothing suppresses it. I've even
set the volumes of the still, the transition and the motion clip to ZERO and
the surge still comes through the silence. Only by completely turning off
the volume for the entire video track (using the check box to the right of
the timeline) can I suppress the sound glitch - but of course that means no
sound from the video track at all.

The loudness of the surge depends on the ambient volume of the motion clip:
a quiet forest scene produces a soft surge while footage of the ocean
produces a very loud glitch.

I had hoped moving from iMovie 3.0.2 would fix these but nothing is
different.

Thanks for any suggestion
Bill qb Quattlebaum