[MacDV] Re: Fwd: Honda Accord commercial

Stan Glass stanlio at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 7 07:14:42 PDT 2003

When I was in college, we demonstrated how two connected cones could
appear to roll uphill and defy gravity. It was done thusly: The large
ends of two cones were glued together and a wooden slat was cut in half
along the long diagonal; then the lower ends were glued together at
about a 30º angle. The connected cones were then placed near the lower
end of the wooden ramp, and without any help the connected cones would
roll upwards, toward the higher ends.

Naturally the connected cones were not defying gravity. What was
happening was that the center of gravity of the connected cones was
always lower than the ramp, so, from the connected cone's perspective,
it was rolling downhill.

Although I have not seen the commercial under discussion, I suspect
this is the underlying principle causing the car's apparent uphill
movement.

		I sent no attachments with this message, and I hope this will permit
us to prevail against the slings and arrows of outrageous Fortune.

Stan Glass <mailto:stanlio at earthlink.net>