[MacDV] Re: Selling music online

Neville Thomas nevillet at clear.net.nz
Sun Jun 8 12:48:50 PDT 2003

On Sunday, June 8, 2003, at 05:14  PM, Charles Martin wrote:

> * 3.5 million songs sold so far.
> * About 500,000/week average.
> * About 45% as full album sales.
>
> ... and keep in mind that the iTMS is at present still limited to
> people running OS X 10.1.5 or later, in the United States, running
> iTunes 4, who want to take advantage of the service. We figure that's
> about 2.5 million people at the moment, though I'm sure that's growing
> fast.

 From a ROTW (rest of the world) perspective, there is a growing gap in
comparative Macintosh value for money.
We've always had a problem in NZ with being on the end of a 3 stage
distribution system as well as our currency exchange (which seems to
affect Apple more than the "other side"), but now we are seeing more
benefits available only in the USA.
.mac doesn't offer much on the end of a modem down here, but iTunes is
a worrying example of being "on the outer" and no suggestion from Apple
as to its rectification.

Neville Thomas in Auckland NZ