New Panther OS X 10.3

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Jun 9 00:07:25 PDT 2003

> From: Stan Glass <stanlio at earthlink.net>
> Any speculations
> regarding whether or not Panther might be on the late July issuing of
> the 17" PowerBook, or would an upgrade to Panther be covered under the
> (sometimes working) Up To Date Program?

Let's try applying a little common sense here:

1. The first time developers even get to LOOK at Panther is June 23rd.
2. It is unlikely that this "preview" release will be even anywhere
close to FC status.
3. Ergo, seems highly improbable that it will be shipping in July,
don't you think?

As for the Up to Date Program:

1. What has Apple traditionally done in the past? (hint: 10-30 days.)
2. When is the likely release of Panther? (clue: several weeks if not
months after devs get their hands on it. See Mac OS X "the pre-Public
Beta days" for some precedent.)
3. When does Apple employ the Up-To-Date Program? (usually when a
RELEASED os version is not present on a machine bought "new" in the
channel)
4. Traditionally, when does Apple begin bundling a new OS with the
machine? (hint: new hardware.)
5. Again, in light of this I just don't see Panther being released or
being eligible for UTD in July.

Not to say it's impossible, but ...

_Chas_

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most people
use Windows is like saying that all other restaurants are inferior to
McDonald's.