S-VCD Refresher course needed

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon Jun 9 01:05:35 PDT 2003

> From: James Asherman <jimash at optonline.net>
> I was under the impression that in terms of quality VCD -SVCD was
> similar to VHS-SVHS.
>  from 250 up to 400 lines.

Having made a number of both types (VCD and SVCD), I am inclined to
agree with you, Jim.

VCDs are CLEARLY inferior to well-recorded SP-speed VHS, particularly
VHS-ET or whatever they call that nicer-picture VHS mode. They are
equivalent to my eye to SLP (6 hour) VHS. Fine for some things, but
bleah for nice things.

SVCDs are again in my opinion CLEARLY not DVD-quality, though "near DVD
quality" is I suppose a close-enough description. I can certainly tell
the difference between SVCD and DVD of the same material, but in terms
of quality SVCD is more than acceptable to me (downright *fine* for
most things), comparable to good SP SVHS.

_Chas_
"We don't want to be like Windows. We want to do everything better. We
are intent on creating the greatest computers and the best computing
experience in the world. And we are the only ones who can say that with
a straight face." -- Greg Joswiak, Apple VP of hardware product
marketing