questions on progressive scan (2 types)

Jan E. Schotsman J_E_SCHOTSMAN at compuserve.com
Tue Jun 10 15:19:40 PDT 2003

Message text written by Tom Nugent Jr

"I thought de-interlacing just averages the two together (or even just
throws out one set of fields)?  For example, if I'm importing into
iMovie (or let's say I splurge and buy Final Cut Express), would I be
able to actually get useful info out of the different fields
(interlaced parts)??"

Averaging the two fields is the "blend" way of deinterlacing. Makes
interlaced video look better on a computer monitor.
You need both fields, with the missing lines interpolated, to get a better
view at fast movements (a total of 60 frames per second). I don't think
either iMovie or Final Cut Pro will do this for you as they are intended to
produce standard video for DVD production, broadcast etc. Anybody correct
me if I'm wrong on this point.

HTH,

Jan.