Partitioning a hard drive

Randy Wilson WilsonR at fonix.com
Tue Jun 10 14:22:58 PDT 2003

I'm getting an 80GB hard drive for my G3 600MHz iBook.  I've heard that
it's good to partition the drive (e.g., 40GB for video editing, and 40GB
for everything else) so that if it gets too fragmented you can wipe the
DV partition to defrag it.

Is that still the recommended procedure? Obviously it's a little bit
more convenient to just have one partition, since you don't have the
problem of running out of room on one partition when there's still
plenty on the other, and you don't have the problem of files getting
"copied" from one partition to the other instead of just moved.

I've heard discussion here about running the daily/weekly/monthly
scripts to do defragmentation.  Is that sufficient, or is a partition
really needed?

Also, any tips on moving to a new hard drive, i.e., should I start from
CD and re-install everything fresh, or can I somehow grab a snapshot of
everything I've got and put it on my external firewire drive, and then
somehow copy everything back to the new drive? [I don't have an external
case for the iBook's little hard drive, so that's not an option at the
moment].

Thanks for your help!