comparing Sony camcorders

Tom Nugent Jr tom at contracheck.com
Tue Jun 10 18:45:27 PDT 2003

I'm hoping you all can help me with a couple of questions I have
about the Sony consumer camcorders:

First, I see the TRV22 has a light rating of 5 lux, but the TRV33 (a
more expensive camera) is only rated at 7 lux.  Why does the more
expensive camera have a poorer light rating?  (I realized the TRV33
has other capabilities that are better than those of the TRV22,
pushing its price up, but wouldn't you expect the lux rating to stay
the same at least?)

Second, on some of the Sony MiniDV (eg. the TRV22 and TRV33), they
have what is described as a "Progressive Shutter System" which is
described thusly: "By using a mechanical shutter with an interlace
scanning system, the progressive shutter provides a progressive scan
performance, while the camcorder captures sharp and clear images."
What the heck does that mean?  Is it progressive scan, or no?  It
seems to be the system for all the Sony MiniDV camcorders, so I'm
guessing it is "true" progressive scan, but the description sounds
funny.  Any thoughts or info?

Thanks!!

  -- Tom