questions on progressive scan (2 types)

Jan E. Schotsman J_E_SCHOTSMAN at compuserve.com
Wed Jun 11 12:47:13 PDT 2003

Message text written by Mark M. Florida

"Actually, I disagree.  The most important factor for freezing motion is
not
whether it's interlaced or not, but the *shutter speed* of the camera.  A
higher shutter speed (1/250 sec. or higher) will freeze the motion.  And if
this higher shutter speed was used with a progressive video signal (or even
"quasi-progressive") that should yield the clearest still frames and slow
motion possible."

I think Tom said "review motion" not "freeze". IMO frame rate is most
important for studying details of movements. If you have a shutter time of
1/250 sec and 30 frames per second playback would perhaps look a little
stroboscopic.
With deinterlaced video you have a shutter time of about 1/60 sec and 60
frames/sec = smooth playback.

My ¤0.02. (worth slightly more than your $0.02 at the moment   ;-)

Jan.