SVCD Refresher Course Needed - update

David Thrasher idave at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 11 12:57:55 PDT 2003

I wanted to give everyone a "Thank you" who helped me figure out how to make a Super VCD or who supplied information on where to find out. It's working out quite well and I can do it under my present Mac OS 10.1.5 (can delay an OS upgrade for now) and 9.2.2 (I create the files for burning in X and use the version of Toast I have to do the burning in 9.)

I did temporarily hit a snag that now that I figured it out, I can only say "Doh!". I was getting incomplete MPEG files. After the video and audio were muxed together and made into a SVCD I discovered that the video would freeze at a certain point while the audio continued.

Here's what happened (purely operator error): I'd set I'd set up a MOV file to encode to an MPV (intermediate file) with MissingMpegTools and click on the CLI button. A Terminal window would launch and I would check the destination folder to see if the file had appeared yet. When I saw it, I mistakenly assumed it was done because there was no visual clue in the Finder that the file was still being worked on.

I was of course used to how things worked in OS 9, so I thought there would be a visual indication in the window. I had forgotten to check the Terminal window for the word "Done" before I closed it. Once I knew about the need for this, I discovered an interesting thing: you can update the size status (in list view) of a file by clicking on it. I like a lot of the new things you can do in OS X but it is definitely going to take some getting used to.

-Dave