[MacDV] Re: questions on progressive scan (2 types)

Jim Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Wed Jun 11 13:18:47 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 03:47  PM, Jan E. Schotsman wrote:

> -------------------- Begin Original Message --------------------
>
> Message text written by Mark M. Florida
>
> "Actually, I disagree.  The most important factor for freezing motion is
> not
> whether it's interlaced or not, but the *shutter speed* of the
> camera.  A
> higher shutter speed (1/250 sec. or higher) will freeze the motion.
> And if
> this higher shutter speed was used with a progressive video signal (or
> even
> "quasi-progressive") that should yield the clearest still frames and
> slow
> motion possible."
>
> -------------------- End Original Message --------------------
>
> I think Tom said "review motion" not "freeze". IMO frame rate is most
> important for studying details of movements. If you have a shutter time
> of
> 1/250 sec and 30 frames per second playback would perhaps look a little
> stroboscopic.
> With deinterlaced video you have a shutter time of about 1/60 sec and 60
> frames/sec = smooth playback.
>
> My ¤0.02. (worth slightly more than your $0.02 at the moment   ;-)
>
> Jan.

I think it's more like that in regular video (as defined in sony
cameras) when you up the
shutter speed you get something like the same 60 interlaced frames but
the shutter is open for less time in each, which makes it less blurry.
In the "progressive scan mode" as I understand it (in sony cameras)
it de interlaces the frames and supposedly applies all the pixels to each
non interlaced frame.
I'm losin' me,
Jim