Fix broken iMovie clip

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Jun 12 09:26:02 PDT 2003

iMovie occasionally crashes on me and one of the side effects is that
the first clip in an unsaved project ends up being broken somehow -all
the other clips are just fine.

When viewed in iMovie (I'm currently using version 3.0.3) I can scroll
through the clip and the time display advances as you would expect, all
the way to the end where it displays 9:28:16 as the duration of the
clip. Unfortunately all I see while scrolling through is black. If I
push the play button to view it in iMovie nothing happens.

When viewed in the Finder using column view, it shows the size as 1.9
GB (which is correct), but the preview is of a generic file icon. Show
Info just displays the "Kind" as "Document".

I can drag and drop it on QuickTime Player though, so it obviously
recognizes it as a file type it can use. But instead of opening I get
an error stating, "Couldn't open the file "Clip 01" because the end of
file was reached prematurely."

Does anyone know a way to fix this when it happens, or do I just need
to go back and recap that section (which is what I've been doing)?

-Mike