[MacDV] Equipment recommendations

Gary Fujihara fujihara at subaru.naoj.org
Thu Jun 12 17:48:48 PDT 2003

Aloha everyone,

   My outreach organization AstroDay Institute (http://www.astroday.net) is
looking to acquire some DV equipment.  The equipment will be used to produce
short astronomy outreach segments on local cable access channels, to
document various astronomy activities conducted by Mauna Kea Observatories,
etc, to produce and distribute educational and event DVDs.

   Current research has guided me toward obtaining a G4 dual processor
desktop, 23" cinema display, shuttleXpress multimedia controller, Logic
Apple Pro Keyboard for Final Cut Pro, Wacom 6x8 graphics tablet, 200GB
Maxtor internal Ultra ATA drive.  I have a consumer mini-DV camcorder and
access to a professional 3-CCD camera, and DV deck.  Software I am looking
at consists of Final Cut Pro 4, DVD Studio Pro.

   Can anyone offer suggestions as to other hardware and software I may find
useful (does Boris Graffiti offer any significant advantages over stock FCP
functionality, Boris FX vs Adobe AfterEffects, etc)?  I am doing research on
this and am educating myself about DV, but would appreciate the member's
vast pool of knowledge and experience to provide some guidance for me.

Best Regards
Gary Fujihara
--
Subaru Telescope - NAOJ