[MacDV] Re: FCP 3 Academic

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Wed Jun 18 09:19:05 PDT 2003

I, too, bought the academic version of FCP3 a while ago.  To me the
difference now is that there's an upgrade price for owners of previous
academic versions, which is more than the old "standard" non-upgrade price,
and the regular academic price has gone up even more.

I say, either keep the price the same as FCP3 for academic users ($299?) and
don't offer any upgrade pricing (as with FCP3), or offer upgrades for like
$199 and full versions for $399...  That pricing structure would offer some
kind of "reward" for people to stick with FCP and move to the new version,
while giving Apple a little more money for people who are buying it new.  To
me $399 new and $199 upgrade makes a whole lot more sense for academic
pricing...  But I'm not the new-and-improved money-grabbing Apple Computer,
Inc.  :-\

Maybe they see the new features in FCP4 as justification for the new higher
pricing?